Everyone nowadays is stuck on the idea that a new year means that a resolution must come with it. It can be intimidating to have a resolution, much less stick to it. Well, whether this is true or not, I have provided a simple guide that should help define making a New Year’s resolution that will stick throughout the whole year!
1. Make a plan
- What is it that you want to resolute?
- How are you going to make this happen?
- Will it cost money? If so, how much?
- Do you need to contact someone to help you succeed?
2. Create your goal
- When will you complete your resolution?
- Is it an ongoing process?
- Does the end of the year mean you’ll stop?
- When do you foresee your goal being met?
3. Take action for yourself
- Know that failing means success; it means you are trying, so keep going
- Revisit your plan and goal throughout the year
- Know that you have an entire year for your resolution, restart if necessary
- Change your outlook, be positive and optimistic
- Make your resolution part of your lifestyle- you’ll be more likely to stick to it
4. Be realistic
- There’s nothing better sounding than all the new year promises. But if you’re not realistic about your goals or resolutions, you’re bound to fail. Being real about the end result with help you through the resolution process. Always stay true to yourself and your goals of your resolution will continue throughout the entire year, rather than the entire month of January.
5. Accept failure
- Accept failure and move on. Don’t dwell in the could’ve, should’ve, etc. again, restart if you need to and push through the bumps in the road. Nobody is perfect so accept what you can’t take, move on, and find success in the small victories!
No matter what steps you take to create a New Year’s resolution, do what makes you happy, something for yourself, and something that you enjoy- don’t make it a chore!
Good luck and Happy 2019!